Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Annoying Comments You Get After Shaving Your Head

 



This article is nine years old, but it still is as relevant as ever. Although she really enjoyed keeping her head shaved at the time, she found people's reactions at times to be annoying. So she lists off some things that people should never say or do when you see a bald woman or girl. As she says:

I actually had a blast shaving my head (I even made a video of it!) and I've been enjoying the freedom of no hair for the past couple of months. I can't really say that I've been enjoying some of the unsolicited comments that my shaved head provokes, however. I've received some lovely compliments from both friends and strangers alike, but I've also had to field awkward questions and rude comments. Sometimes they're well-intentioned and sometimes not, but either way I'm sure most girls with shaved heads will agree that hearing these nine things over and over again gets pretty tiring.

She then goes through her list. None of the items really surprise me. Don't ask why questions or ask if she is going through chemo. Don't touch her head (without permission). Don't say "you're so brave" or "I could never do that." Really this is common sense stuff. Right? She ends on this note:

So many women have said this to me. It's well-intentioned most of the time (although sometimes there is definitely some shade behind it). The truth is, I'm not brave and you can do it. It's just hair and it grows back. Sure, I was a little nervous to see what it would look like and if I would like it, but I knew even if I hated it, it was temporary.

If you don't want a shaved head, that's fine. You can say that and I won't be insulted. It's not for everyone. If you do want to try it though, then just do it! You'll probably realize that it's a lot of fun. No bravery needed. Well... Maybe a little bravery to put up with some of the silly comments you'll get.