Thursday, January 26, 2023

15 surprising things that happened after shaving my hair

 




The first few paragraphs from this inspiring blog post:

About a year ago, I finally took the plunge and shaved my hair. What a life-changing decision that was.

I cannot even begin to describe how much shaving my hair has impacted my life since doing it, but I thought I’d try. And no, I’m not just talking about a “look” thing. It also has to do with learning and practicing self-respect (and self-love) every day.

Back to last year. When I was debating whether or not I had what it takes to rock a bald head, there weren’t that many articles on the internet to guide me in my decision. There were a couple (ok, maybe more than that) of YouTube videos here and there of girls filming the process of shaving their head, and boy, am I grateful for them.

And so, today I thought I would write about my own experience with shaving my hair, especially as a black woman with (former) big, naturally curly hair. I know we struggle a lot with our hair and we grow up with cultural hair bias so ingrained in us, it can be difficult to remain sane while trying to navigate it all.

That’s why I decided to compile a list of 15 surprising things that happened after shaving my head.

If you are wondering if you should get a buzzcut or why you should get one, then this post might be just the inspiration you needed to at least consider shaving your head.