Monday, April 10, 2023

Maintenance and Some Thoughts

Over the last couple days, I've been hiding or deleting posts where video links have gone bad along with some other basic blog maintenance. That's actually my least favorite part of blogging. In spite of the truism that "once something is on the internet it is there forever", the reality is more complicated. Content can vanish without a trace. As far as videos and other links that go missing? I'll probably never know why they went away. Vloggers decide to delete the channels, or decide individual video posts don't reflect how they want to present themselves, or maybe they received too many gross comments (which really is awful), or some combination of all of those reasons. Anyway, removing dead links is a time-consuming chore, but necessary if I want this blog to make an impact. Once I decide to take my next extended break, I am still going to log in and take care of some maintenance just so it can keep regular viewers returning and attract (I hope) new viewers. 

I do experiment more with different video platforms. I used to stick primarily to YouTube (and to a much lesser degree Vimeo and DailyMotion). Lately, I've been posting TikTok videos whenever I've found a content creator who has a video or two that I find fun and empowering. I'm well aware that any of these social media platforms can become unavailable for any of a number of reasons. The parent company could go bankrupt, and its content vanish in the process. This blog has a very small but international audience. It's no surprise that some nations ban certain platforms and permit others. Some of my viewers may not be able to access YouTube unless they are lucky enough to use VPN. In the US, there is the threat that TikTok might be banned. That could create some headaches for me, since I've started posting more content from that platform. 

Regardless, I am not sure why, but blogs seem to have some staying power. Individual content may come and go, as may social media platforms, but with some effort, this blog can still provide content that is entertaining, educational, and inspiring. It may be a niche blog, but there is plenty of space for others to similarly offer content challenging outdated social norms about gender. In the meantime, I'll keep doing my part. 

Finally, for those of you who keep visiting, or who are new to this blog, thank you for visiting. I hope you find this blog meaningful to you.